Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A Couple of Reasons to Visit Granada

"Not all those who wander, are lost" J.R.R. Tolkien 


I've been wanting to tell you a bit about a wonderful town in Southern Spain called Granada.  I visited Granada a couple of months ago and was very lucky because I had a local friend showing me around.  Even though I was there only for a day, I was so impressed with the city that I will have to go back and explore it without a rush.

As you may know, there is nothing better than having someone local showing you their city, for they will take you to see the real side of a town and not just the tourist circuits.  I have to confess I had not done my homework on Granada as it was not my final destination but a quick stop in my itinerary.  My impressions were pleasant and here I am sharing with you the highlights and tips that were shared with me.

If you are planning to visit Granada:


Make reservations to see the Alhambra as soon as you know you'll visit Granada.  As my friend told me, the Alhambra is the most visited tourist site in Spain, so make sure you get your tickets or you'll be missing out.  (Get your tickets here)

If you arrive really tired, do not despair, you can go to the oldest arabic baths in Granada called the Hammam Baños Arabes (click here for more info)

Take a walk (or stay) in the Albaycin neighborhood, where the Moorish influence is still alive.  Walk their narrow streets and eat and one of the local eateries.    Don't forget that eating schedules are very different than American or British ones.  In Granada people have lunch at around 3:00 in the afternoon, and restaurants may not be open earlier.  If you get hungry before the local lunch time, stop for a beer which comes with a big plate of tapas (for only a couple of Euro).  For lunch,  my friend took me to "Casa Torquato", a local eatery that I highly recommend.  We ordered local dishes and wine and the bill was surprisingly low for all we had eaten.



Because Granda's moorish heritage is still alive, you'll find Moroccan lanterns that will make your heart race.  If I had space in my suitcase I would have bought the entire store!

I hope you enjoyed today's tips, arrivederci and keep traveling!



No comments:

Post a Comment