Saturday, January 18, 2014

Market Day: With Recipe!

“Even Socrates, who lived a very frugal and simple life, loved to go to the market."  Jack Kornfield


Today was #market day, as I headed out with my rolling shopping cart, I decided to take my camera with  me to share with you snapshots of my morning in a regular #Roman market.  I am fascinated at how well #Italians eat.  They shop for the day and buy nothing but fresh food (no preservatives, no colorants, #nochemicals!).  No wonder they all live a long life! I am grateful for my time here and I want to learn the good habits of this culture to take them with me wherever my next stop will be.


I've been curiously staring at this super weird broccoli for a year now.  I finally asked, and was told it's called #Broccoli Romanesco. Apparently, it tastes like a mix between regular broccoli and cauliflower.  I had to buy it today, to photograph it and figure out how to cook it. 


As the days have been rainy and cold, I baked some #zucchini bread, perfect for my afternoon coffee break.  This recipe makes two loaves, but the first loaf disappears within seconds in my house, so I am OK with it.  You can always cut the quantities in half for one loaf.

ZUCCHINI BREAD


 3 1/2 cups of flour (I use whole wheat)
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of cinammon
2 cups of sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup of water
2 cups grated zucchini
1 teaspoon of lemon
1 cup chopped walnuts
(you can add raisins or dry cranberries if you wish)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.  In a bowl combine all dry ingredients.  In another bowl combine all wet ingredients.  Mix the wet into the dry ingredients.  Add nuts and fold them in.  Bake in two buttered and floured #loaf pans.  They are normally done in one hour (or until a toothpick comes out dry).  Enjoy!



   Arrivederci,
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh you post the recipe !!!!!! Tank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, due to popular demand ;) Hope you like it!!

    ReplyDelete